Thursday, December 3, 2020

That completion feeling

Bam! Not something that occurs too often here, but that is 299 figures completed. Actually, it is more appropriately; pop. While that number may sound all smarty-pants productive; some truth in publication is appropriate.

Initial French (on left) and German (right) armies for my first foray into wargaming the First World War.

I began the French, some 95 of them, back in December 2019 and had them 'all but' completed by February this year. I then added in some Germans (110) and brought them to a similar stage around April. My plan was to put the finishing touches on them while painting other figures (for Napoleonic and Great Northern wars). Then, that breadth of interest that is the bane of many wargamers came into play.

February: under-coated Germans (nearest camera and nearly completed French (furthest and below) arrayed on my scratch build trench system.

April: Germans (now also nearly completed) and French awaiting basing and black-washing

Having picked up a copy of the Twilight of the Sun King rules, I focussed on the Great Northern War figures, getting sufficient of them to a stage of 'good enough' for a first test game in May (these figures still await their finishing touches).
August: waiting for final touches and varnishing

  

After a few slow months in winter, come August, the plan was (and remains) to focus on early Napoleonics (revolutionary) with some late 17th/early 18th century themed troops (for Austro-Turkish, Great Turkish, Ottoman-Polish, Lithuanian Civil and Great Northern wars) thrown in. That, of course, left the First World War figures sitting there in a not-quite-yet finished state—'in the bush, but not in the hand'.

It's funny how my brain works, but, painting brown for animal skins on Ottoman Deli cavalry and back packs French revolutionary/Napoleonic infantry lead me to bring the First World war figures to the front of the queue, including adding in a few more!

This time, I decided to finish them all. So, I got up to my ears in feldgrau and horizon blue.

I'm looking forward to doing a test game, using the Westfront rules, using what I have so far.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive amount of figures and terrain...I'll come back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Not as impressive as your blog, but I hope of some interest.
      Regards, James

      Delete