Saturday, December 5, 2020

World War One Noises

Is that by the Runettes?

No, the French and the Germans

I was disheartened by the photos of the completed First World War figures that I took last night, so tried again by the light of day. I should not photograph my painting so close-up, but the result was much improved by natural light. The gloss of the plastidip that I used appears leas 'blotchie'. Nothing can make my painting look better at close quarters, but I am happy enough with the effect to the eye (my eyes at least!).

Airfix French, classic and still 'all good' these years later. How iconic is that figure running with his arms extended?  

A Hat soixante-quinzes, below arrayed in Napoleonic grand battery-style


Strelets Germans in gas masks

Predominantly Strelets German stormtroops, some Caesar and Emhar in the mix

Above and below, base coated applied to the 'big guns'

Set-up for my first play-test of Westfront: the 701st ready to attack the ant-hill

German defenders in place

The ant hill. A fictitious scenario inspired by "Paths of Glory"




9 comments:

  1. The new photo show up your armies much better. I have always linked the old Airfix WW1 French figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Lighting; rule one two and three of photography!

      Delete
  2. Impressive terrain and figures, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dean. Now that I have figures ready, I want to add to the terrain: enhancements, such as sandbags and some pillboxes and the like.

      Delete
  3. James, Good to see Airfix WW1 French infantry in action (and still on sale) over this atmospherically bleak trench system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I even have some from the original 'Fisher collection'—well used figures. A couple of the casualty figures painted here and more to come later. In fact some from that group will provide extra casualty figures as the odd foot or limb are missing!

      Delete
  4. Nice to see someone using all the old school 1/72 plastic figures and the end result looking so good. Your Western Front trench layout looks very convincing too - great work all around James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. It is a very high proportion of 1/72 here as I really like the scale, look and proportion of the figures, not to mention the much more acceptable outlay of money!

      Delete
  5. It's not my period. But I can see all the work you had put into that table setup. Thank you for your pictures. It's fascinating to realize if your grandfather lived during that period.

    ReplyDelete