Saturday, July 3, 2021

Somme 105 (1) When the Barrage Lifts and other reading

Thursday marked the 105th anniversary of the start of the Battle of the Somme. So, have I now 'officially' (ha,ha) added it to my First World War activities for the year. The first step will be to begin reading about the battle. I have gathered a few books over the past year or so that are either specifically about the Somme, or aspects of it as well as some more contemporary accounts that I have as pdf files.

Books about the Somme in full or in part.

Memoirs about the Somme and other western front battles.
 

Once I have completed the French that I am currently painting, I'll begin British, Canadian and Commonwealth forces. Since I began my painting and reading largely in the 105th year of the two massive battles of Verdun and Somme, I did not plan to have sufficient read and painted in order to try to recreate them in full. I do though fully expect to do sections of each, while using this planning, 'resource gathering' and  experience to undertake a full recreation for the 110th anniversaries.

Some of the pdf files of other reading that I have collected together

Preparing the Somme Offensive by A French Officer
The Battle of the Somme: An Authoritative French Account Based on Official Records in five parts by Adrouin-Dumazet
The Battle of the Somme: Anglo-French Teamwork
The Battle of the Somme by Gompertz
The Greatest Battle in History: Text of General Sir Douglas Haig's Report on the Battle of the Somme


No comments:

Post a Comment